Pages

Thursday, November 24, 2011

DMA179 - T-Rex Assignment

So for this project we were instructed to make a scale clay replica of a T-Rex tooth. For this I used a box of super sculpy that I bought at the school book store. Before i started construction of my tooth I had to do a little bit of research into what the dimensions are and what the tooth looked like. I came across a lot of different info that ranged from teeth that were 4 inches all the way to 10 inches. I chose to do mine at a solid 7.5 inches to make sure it was big enough that I could add some details and get a good shot for my poster.  For the interior construction of the tooth I used a whole bunch of tin foil, I just scrunched it up and molded it to the basic form I wanted. After i was happy with the basic form I took a bunch of clay and started to layer it over top the tin foil.With a little bit of playing around I had my tooth, I used my nails to make the serrated edge.  After cooking it in the oven for a bit I panted it using some paints that were laying around the house. This is the final product.






Next I started to do some research into what kind of font the ROM uses for the dinosaur exhibits. After spending too much time going no where and exhausting all of my resources I found a font that I thought worked fairly well for the poster. Below is the style guide I came up with for my poster. I used the text Pirulen that i found on a free font website for the heading and sub heading. I used Kalinga as the font for the body because it looked like some of the font i saw on the ROMs site and it is still easy to read. 


After completing this step, work on my poster kicked into full gear. After spending a fair bit of time playing around with a few different designs I came up with my final product which can be seen below. i decided to use gry for the the background because its a nice neutral color and i diffused a picture of a T-rex skeleton into the background to give it a bit of dimension and make it less boring. One problem I had was the black type for the paragraph on the grey background. Originally it was a bit hard to read with the orange of the tooth there as well so I decided to but a faded grey background behind it. this kinda separated it from the background and the tooth without being too distracting.


No comments:

Post a Comment